Information Builders and Business Intelligence Scalability
Information is only truly valuable when it can be accessed and used by anyone, from anywhere, and at any time. When it comes to your enterprise business intelligence (BI) strategy, the ability of your underlying architecture to effectively scale to support any number or type of internal or external users, or any kind of reporting and analysis application, can mean the difference between success and failure.
Information Builders’ BI solutions are the most scalable on the market today – up to 1,000 times more scalable than competing applications. While many other vendors claim BI scalability, they are simply referring to the amount of data that can be processed, or the number of reports that can be generated. Others will cite instances where their products were used to support large user bases, but won’t tell you the amount of hardware and administrative resources required to facilitate the reporting environment.
The powerful features and capabilities of the WebFOCUS BI platform minimize the amount of hardware, software, and staff required to implement and maintain large-scale environments:
- Nonpersistence. WebFOCUS requires server power only when it is accessing or processing data, so less hardware is needed.
- Server multi-threading. Multiple users can share the same resources, eliminating the risk of server overload and allowing for greater concurrency.
- Native data adapters. Because it uses native data drivers, WebFOCUS not only delivers better information retrieval speed, it can access sources that are unavailable to other BI solutions.
- Cutting-edge data manipulation technologies. WebFOCUS has built-in data manipulation that has been enhanced and tuned for more than 30 years, so it can generate reports in one or two database passes that could require ten or more using another BI solution.
- Multi-tier configurations. WebFOCUS can be distributed across multiple servers on NT, UNIX, Linux, AS/400, or mainframe computers. This reduces traffic by crunching numbers into a report before it is passed across a network.
- Clustered servers and load management. The distribution of work, fail-over, and resource allocation are managed autonomously, ensuring optimum performance while reducing hardware costs as the environment is scaled.
- Built-in stress testing. WebFOCUS allows for testing before going live, so administrators can see – in advance – how well the environment will perform in real-world scenarios.
Scalability isn’t just important for large enterprises with thousands of users; it’s also critical for small and mid-sized business. WebFOCUS provides a robust foundation that facilitates seamless growth, whether it’s new applications, or new users.
Development and Implementation
Information Builders Professional Services employs a team of specialists to assist you with the design and deployment of flexible, scalable reporting and analysis applications.
Contact us to discuss your specific organizational needs.