iWay Software's Intelligent Adapter for CA-IDMS – SQL, JDBC, ODBC, and XML-Based Enterprise Integration
Accelerating CA-IDMS Integration
iWay Software's intelligent CA-IDMS adapter provides highly efficient access to IDMS data and systems. The adapter is engineered in the same way as other iWay data adapters, so developers may use ANSI-standard SQL statements to access CA-IDMS data from any iWay tool. Third-party products can also access the adapter via iWay connectors, including ODBC, OLE DB, JDBC, XML, iWay Business Services (Web services), and others. In addition, data may be integrated with more than 300 other information sources, including other relational and nonrelational databases, transaction systems, custom or packaged applications, message-oriented middleware, XML documents, EDI networks, and more.
How iWay Intelligent Data Adapters Work Together
All iWay Intelligent Adapters are designed for consistent operation within iWay's robust middleware framework, thereby minimizing the skill sets required to use each database and support new projects. Each adapter consists of a communications interface, an SQL translator that manages adapter operations in either SQL or iWay's universal Data Manipulation Language (DML), and a database interface that translates ANSI SQL into native API calls. Multiple iWay adapters running on the same platform can all share communications and translation components for greater efficiency.
Highly Optimized for IDMS
The iWay Intelligent Adapter for CA-IDMS receives ANSI-standard SQL requests and translates them into iWay's universal DML. These DML statements are used to access the target database using CA-IDMS DML to retrieve data targeted in the request. If required, the adapter will generate the appropriate iWay SQL and DML statements to perform cross-database joins with other data sources.
Special features and settings for iWay's CA-IDMS Adapter include:
- Support for most commonly used data types including character and packed data
- Optimized DML to increase data retrieval performance
- Automated metadata creation tools to embed transformation logic, views, joins, and virtual columns
- Advanced interface tracing facility to display DML and return codes
- Central Version (CV) and Local Mode support
- LRF-based access support (ASF and LR creation and retrieval)
- Implementation of access modules to support physical and logical relationships between record types
- Simple set, Common Owner, Common Member sets, Multiple-Member sets, Bill-of-Materials structures, and Loop Structure support
- CALC-based and index-based relationships between different record types
- COBOL group field support
- Support for intra-record structures and repeating groups via OCCURS clause
- Performance optimization via database key and index retrieval
- Descendent segment retrieval of network records (set-based, CALC-based, index-based, and LRF record retrieval)
- Ability to dynamically change dictionary and/or schema
Special iWay Performance Features
The iWay Adapter directly provides query control via the RECORDLIMIT feature to reduce communication traffic, CPU usage, and I/O activity. iWay's Resource Analyzer and Resource Governor products may also be used to analyze and control resources on a global basis independently of the adapter being used.