WebFOCUS 8 Tools Consolidation
by Susan Trommer
Note: This article is a summary of the information available in the WebFOCUS 8 Tools Consolidation Statement (https://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/tech/wbf/wbf_rln_8_tools_consolidation.html)
available from the Information Builders InfoResponse Online(https://techsupport.informationbuilders.com) Web site. To provide advanced notice of the WebFOCUS 8 Tools Consolidation, a CTSS Advisory email notification was distributed on November 30, 2011 to InfoResponse Online subscribers.
Information Builders continues to enhance its WebFOCUS product line and add new capabilities and tools to meet customers' requirements. In recent years, this has meant applying new technologies to provide a rich, modern Web-based experience for users of WebFOCUS. To this end, WebFOCUS Release 8 consolidates several legacy tools and interfaces as well as some stabilized product options.
The legacy Web tools consolidation includes the retirement of the Report Assistant, Graph Assistant, Power Painter and Advanced Graph Assistant tools. Information Builders has a policy of ensuring that our customers receive upgrades and new features as a standard part of their maintenance contracts.
In this case, Information Builders is extending that program. Customers who have licensed Report Assistant and Graph Assistant under the Analytical Reporter or other licensing arrangements, are entitled upon upgrading to Release 8 to trade in those licenses for no-cost InfoAssist Basic licenses.
InfoAssist Basic, a subset of WebFOCUS InfoAssist, contains the capabilities found in Report Assist and Graph Assist. Contact your local Information Builders representative regarding Power Painter and Advanced Graph Assistant capabilities, which require the WebFOCUS InfoAssist license.
The Web consolidation also includes the retirement of the following Java Applet based interfaces and tools, which will eliminate the requirement to have a specific release of the Java VM present on each end-user machine:
Managed Reporting (MR) Applet User Interface
- Reporting Object Applet Tool
- Alert Wizard Applet Tool
- Publish Utility Applet Tool
- Applet-based Graphs, Graph Editor (accessible from Applet-based graphs), and Old Graph Engine (GRAPH32)
- ReportCaster Applet Interface and Scheduling Wizard
For Developer Studio, the Graph Assistant and the Managed Reporting Publish Utility are retired. The Developer Studio Graph option will utilize InfoAssist charting. The Developer Studio HTML Composer tool is available to create HTML launch forms for Managed Reporting procedures. Customers who have active licenses for Developer Studio will receive this functionality as part of their standard maintenance contract.
The functionally stabilized product options that have been consolidated and discontinued as of Release 8 are the following:
- WebFOCUS CGI and ISAPI client communication for WebFOCUS Self-Service applications. Applications using the CGI or ISAPI client should be converted to use the WebFOCUS Servlet.
- Two-way Email is discontinued due to lack of usage and the availability of the WebFOCUS Mobile Favorites Product offering.
- ReportCaster Java Bean API is superseded by the ReportCaster Java API available as of Release 5.3. See the ReportCaster API manual for information on the ReportCaster Java API.
See the following product notifications for additional information for each of the consolidation areas including functionality available to evaluate in Release 7.7.x:
- WebFOCUS 8 Managed Reporting Applet-based Tools Consolidation
- WebFOCUS 8 Applet-based Graphs and Graph Engine Consolidation
- WebFOCUS 8 ReportCaster Tools and Distribution Options Consolidation
- WebFOCUS 8 Report and Graph Tools Consolidation
- WebFOCUS CGI and ISAPI Client Depreciation and Support Statement
- ReportCaster Two-Way Email Discontinued as of WebFOCUS 8
- ReportCaster Java Bean API Discontinued as of WebFOCUS 8